maya mori

in the midst…


Leave a comment

aidan’s valentines 2013

aidan decided to make his own valentines from scratch this year. he cut them out of brown fred meyer bags, used a heart punch and glued a starburst candy to each one. i love that kid!

20130214-142547.jpg

20130214-142605.jpg

Advertisements


5 Comments

rug therapy

on new year’s day, i put away all the christmas decorations and cleaned the house furiously, ready to start 2013 with a fresh environment & perspective.  i  rearranged the front room, to better accommodate the really cool, giant mod bean bags the boys received for christmas.  it looked fantastic, although the room was screaming for a modern shag rug to complement the mid century look.  so, i started looking at rugs.  i must admit that it became a bit of an obsession, fueled even more by my lack of funds to purchase one.  while perusing pictures of rugs i could never afford, i stumbled upon a fantastic tutorial for making your own at xoelle.  and so it began…

i decided to make a 5′ x 5′ rug and purchased 2 pieces of 36″ x 60″ rug canvas on amazon for $13 each.  i needed about 100 cotton tees to make this rug and procured them all for free.  the rug on the tutorial was all one color and i wanted to have slightly different shades.  most of the tees were white or light in color, but i had a bunch of bright orange too.  first, i cut the ribbed collars, sleeves and hem off of all the shirts.  next, i dyed the tees in small batches, trying to group the tees by color.  i used idye by jacquard and was really pleased with the results.  for the lighter colored shirts, i used two different grays, gunmetal & silver gray. for the batch of bright orange shirts, i used the royal blue to create gray.  this batch was difficult and i ended up over-dyeing in silver gray to get the final color i wanted.  all in all, i ended up with a range of 5 different shades.  i then started on the arduous task of cutting all the dyed material into 1″ x 4″ strips.  i worked on it a few hours a day and it took several weeks.

dyed fabric

cutting strips

all the strips

finally, it was time to start actually making the rug.  i found a vintage rug hook for $1 and got to work!

rug hook

the first 5′ row took me an hour.  now, i can get a row done in 30 minutes.  with over 200 rows, it will take about 100 hours to complete the rug. here’s my progress so far…

first row

a few rows down

the back

shaggy

25 rows and counting

i think it is going to look and feel amazing when it is finally done!  it’s very calming to work on and i am using it as my new form of therapy in 2013.  i’ll post a picture when it’s complete!


1 Comment

yes, a teepee.

my daughter recently turned two and for christmas i made her a teepee.  she has a great imagination & loves to organize her things.  i knew she would love having her own space!

years ago, i made a one for the boys, but at some point it was left out in the rainy yard.  i still had the old poles, so we spray painted them to look like new and i started sewing!  i used fabric that i had on hand, so the gift cost absolutely nothing.

it was quite a statement on christmas morning and i’ve been rewarded daily by watching her embrace her special space.  on a gray day it can get a bit dark inside, so i strung a small vintage chandelier inside…right above her wicker chair & basket of bears.

perfection!teepee 1teepee 2frankie & her teepee 1frankie & her teepee 2frankieteepee at night


1 Comment

fall is here

i’ve been a bit down lately and it was wonderful to see a post by my dear friend jen (check out her amazing & effortless creativity at bits of envy) that completely inspired me to stop being sad & embrace fall!  first, i made leaves out of brown paper bags & different lace.  i glued the lace to the bags and then used a template to cut them out.

i used three different styles & colors of lace.  i really like the combinations of textures.

next, i made flowers out of burlap, fabric scraps, vintage buttons & broken vintage earrings…and glued it all together.

here it is, hanging on the front door.

then i decided to make a table runner out of the remaining burlap.  i used the rest of the lace leaves and vintage mason jars.  the lids made perfect candle holders.  now i am off to help a friend paint & hopefully find the perfect branches to put in the jars!  thank you jen!


1 Comment

Dr. Horrible, part two

the kids really loved their costumes.  i turned two men’s white shirts into their lab coats, sewing on the necessary patch & white buttons on the side.  i got the goggles on ebay and then painted them silver.  my favorite part was covering their rain boots in white duct tape.  we wrapped up the costume with kid gardening gloves not so successfully spray painted white.  aidan couldn’t help but sing his favorite songs.